What to do if you have problems paying your rent

It is important to let us know if you are struggling to pay your rent or can't make a payment.

There are lots of ways we can help - and we won't know anything is wrong unless you tell us!

We can also put you in touch with other organisations which, like us, will give you free and confidential support.

We can:

  • Give you advice on managing your money

  • Help you claim benefits, including Universal Credit and Housing Benefit

  • Put you in touch with Citizens Advice and StepChange

The Citizens Advice service offers practical, up to date information and advice on a wide range of topics, including: debt, benefits, housing, legal, discrimination, employment, immigration, consumer and other problems.  The advice is available to everyone regardless of race, gender, sexuality, age, nationality, disability or religion.

You can find the CAB here:

Bridgwater Advice Centre, Royal Clarence House, Bridgwater
Drop in service Monday to Friday 10:00 - 13:00
Digital Link Drop-In Service Wednesday and Friday 10:30 - 12:30

Cheddar Outreach, Cheddar Baptist Church, Lower North Street, Cheddar
Drop in service Monday 09:30 - 12:30

Burnham-on-Sea Outreach, Methodist Church, College Street, Burnham-on-Sea
Drop in service Tuesday 09:30 - 12:30

Highbridge Outreach, Hope Baptist Church, Church Street, Highbridge
Drop in service Thursday 09:30 - 12:30

Cannington One Stop Shop, Cannington United Reform Church, High Street, Cannington
Drop in service every 1st, 3rd and 5th Friday of each month 09:30 - 12:30

Nether Stowey One Stop Shop, St Mary's Church Centre, St Mary Street, Nether Stowey
Drop in service every 2nd Tuesday of each month 13:00 - 16:00

Step Change offer free and impartial advice to help you with the first steps towards managing your debts.  For more information visit or call 0800 138 1111.

Case Study:

Mrs G fell into rent arrears following a new application for Universal Credit which was delayed. Due to this, the tenant struggled to reduce their arrears and despite direct payment of their rent from Universal Credit, they were at a point where court action was being considered. We were able to secure a discretionary housing payment for the tenant to clear the arrears and assist them with the shortfall ongoing for three months. During this time we set the tenant up on Direct Debit and stopped direct payments from Universal Credit so they were managing the rent themselves. Since this, the tenant has been able to have more security on their home and is now empowered by managing their own finances.


Contact Us for further information.

YOUR HOME could be AT RISK if you don't pay your rent and you MAY NOT be rehoused.